Monday, June 18, 2012

Stevie Nicks: Landslides, Mystery, and Rock n Roll

“Little girls think it's necessary to put all their business on MySpace and Facebook, and I think it's a shame...I'm all about mystery.”


“I said,'Instead of going in the direction that a lot of the women singers are going in [revealing], I'll be very, very sexy under 18 pounds of chiffon and lace and velvet...I will have mystique.”
"I am pretty fearless, and you know why?  Because I don't handle fear very well; I'm not a good terrified person."
"I think they all went too far.  Their jeans got too low, their tops got too see-through.  Personally, I think that sexy is keeping yourself mysterious.  I'm really an old-fashioned girl, and I think I'm totally sexy."
Many a Little Girl ends up choosing a Rock n Roll Star to emulate.  Like everyone else, I certainly did, and today's youth are doing the same.  Of course, goodness knows what will happen to today's youngsters who choose to model themselves after the likes of Miley Cyrus, Brittany Spears, Lady Gaga, and Justin Bieber.  I can only assume these children will believe the keys to success are wealthy parents, shocking outfits, and shaving one's head every now again.  At least from my point of view, what's missing is talent and passion. For those of us old enough to remember what Real Rock Stars looked and sounded like weep for the loss.  Where is Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Carole King, and the Rolling Stones?  Why did Americans pay good money to watch the life story of a twelve year old?: Never Say Never...unless you reach the age of 9 and then give up.  Its too late.  Your window has passed.  If you disagree with me than we're probably not meant to be friends.  I try to be open-minded but I doubt I'll budge on this issue.  I cannot support Bieberites, Cyrus Wannabees, or Spears Sirens.   American Idol, The Voice, America's Got Talent, it's all a bunch of crap.  The youth of this nation need reeducated in the ways of Rock and Roll.  Who did I idolize, you ask?  None other than Stevie Nicks..   I loved everything about the former Fleetwood Mac Diva from her shawls to her lyrics.  Stevie was (and is) smart, powerful, mysterious, and sexy (without revealing too much).  Finally, a Star who I agreed with: "Personally, I think that sexy is keeping yourself mysterious.  I'm really an old-fashioned girl."  For me at least, private thoughts and emotions ought to remain just that.  Some secrets are only meant for the person who means the most to you, not the whole world.  Now don't get me wrong here.  Nicks knew how to get her feelings across.  She never advocated bottling everything up inside.  If you doubt me then watch her glare at Lindsey Buckingham while singing "Silver Springs" (awesome by the way)


"Time cast a spell you that you won't forget me.  I know I could have love you but you would not let me.  I'll follow you down till the sound of my voice will haunt you.  You'll never get away from the sound of woman who loves."  Yep, its a little scary.  She's gonna haunt Lindsey till the day he dies but you know what?  When I look at Stevie Nicks, I'm pretty damn sure she's capable of that.  Watch out!  (Ladies, just to be clear, I am NOT advocating stalking.  If you are physically following or cyber-stalking a former or current lover right now, Stop Immediately.  Your crazy has reached Psycho Proportions)  
All kidding aside, though, my favorite Nick's song is "Landslide" (1975).  In my opinion, one of the hardest decisions a person has to make is accepting when a relationship has become unhealthy.  At what point does dysfunction take too a high toll?  How can we cut longstanding ties?  When we do, is it possible to negotiate though the guilt and hurt?  I keep searching for answers but I'm tired and confused.  However, when I listen to Landslide I feel a measure of peace.  Maybe we are all afraid changing.  To pull away from the roots that built our existence.  "Oh mirror in the sky, what is love?  Can the child within my heart rise above?  Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?  Can I handle the seasons of my life?"  Tonight my answer echoes Nick's: "I don't know".


No comments:

Post a Comment