Saturday, September 15, 2012

God's Away On Business

I felt a Cleaving in my Mind--
As if my Brain had split--
I tried to match it--Seam by Seam--
But could not make it fit.

The thought behind, I strove to join
Unto the thought before--
But sequence ravelled out of Sound
Like Balls--upon a Floor.
~Emily Dickinson









"I'd sell your heart to the junk man, baby 
For a buck
For a buck
If you're lookin' for someone to pull you outta that ditch
You're outta luck
You're outta luck
The ship is sinking
The ship is sinking
~Tom Waits "God's Away on Business"

Some families are close knit, full of love, support, sugar, and, spice, and everything nice.  Unfortunately, most of us are not from those families.  No our relations are made of snakes, and, snails and puppy dog tails (don't ask what they did with the rest of the puppy).  That is why in times that try one's soul, we know to expect our "loved ones" to show up, sit on top of our chests, and wait to see if we stop breathing.  No, there isn't a moral to the story, my Friends.  Morals are for happier, healthier people.  This morning I woke up to the sad realization that not only was there a cleaving in my brain, but, also, that my ship is, indeed, sinking...God's away on business.  

No comments:

Post a Comment