Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sunlight: Traveling Along Highway 31

"Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being." ~Albert Schweitzer

"All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle." St. Francis of Assisi

On a fairly regular basis, I drive along Indiana's highway 31 between South Bend and Bloomington.  For the most part, I make that journey under the cover of darkness in hopes of avoiding traffic.  And last night was no different except that hurricane Isaac's leftovers blew through Indiana with lighting, blackouts, and limited visibility.  As you might have guessed, my trip was postponed until today.  After such nasty weather, you can imagine my delight when I woke up this morning and discovered blue skies, 70 degrees, and lots of sunshine.   What turn around from the frightening storm that had blown through and caused me to trip and fall down concrete stairs.  

Now, prior to this afternoon, if you'd have asked me to describe 31 north, I'd have told you about how boring it is.  How its an endless sea of corn fields.  How Northern Indiana sucks.  But, today, I realized what an incredible difference the sun makes to that trip. When the light illuminates the trees and fields the view is mighty fine, my Friends.  In fact, I didn't mind the three and a half hours, which I normally loathe, in the car.  Instead, I soaked up the scenery and said a little prayer of thanks for such a lovely day.  And as I did, I realized that the people who mean the most to us are the sunlight in our lives.  No matter how awful the storm, like a flashlight they guide our way and pick us up when we've stumbled down the steps.  Those are the people who make life's journey along highway 31 bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment