Monday, October 15, 2012

The Ghosts That We Knew and a Wrecking Crew

You saw my pain, washed out in the rain
Broken glass, saw the blood run from my veins
But you saw no fault, no cracks in my heart
And you knelt beside my hope torn apart
But the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
And we'll live a long life

So give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
Cause oh they gave me such a fright
But I will hold just as long as you like
Just promise me we'll be alright.

"The Ghosts that We Knew" featured on Mumford and Sons latest album (lyrics above) is a new personal favorite.  You wanna know why?  Sure, you do.  And if you don't, than I suggest you stop reading now.  ANYWAY...back on topic here: I enjoy this particular song because I'm completely crazy.  No really, I'm severely OCD (along with a lot of other crap with icky labels).  The Ghosts that I knew have been following me around since I was no less than 6 years old.  That's a lot of hang ups, Folks.  What I find beautiful about the song is that it suggests two people, both haunted by their painful pasts can pull close to one another, and live a long and happy life.  I want to believe that.  Truthfully, I still struggle to find hope.  Before I became ill, I was jaded.  Now, as I am recovering, I find myself open again and vulnerable.  As if mental illness stripped away all my armor and left me fragile and without defense.  I'm terrified.  Dear God, what if its all a trap, a joke, a miscommunication?  What if nothing ever falls into place?  I'm tired and, to be honest, I don't have any fight left.  If another wrecking crew comes after me, I'm down for the count, Guys.  Maybe that's really why I love the lyrics above.  Those words, like the rainbow I saw last Sunday, gives a little something to hold onto and believe in.  "So give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light.  Cause oh they gave me such a fright.  But I will hold on as long you like.  Just promise me we'll be alright."    

No comments:

Post a Comment