Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Grace: Sigh No More

"Love it will not betray you/Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free/Be more the man you were made to be/There is a design, an alignment, a cry/Of my heart to see/The beauty of love as it was made to be." (Mumford and Sons, "Sigh No More") One of the reasons I adore Mumford and Sons music is because their lyrics so often deal with the topic of grace. Why is grace so important to me? Well, allow me to explain. In my humble opinion, grace, which I would call the ultimate expression of love, is what makes this life bearable. The problem is that, sometimes, I forget to keep an eye out for it. You see, grace isn't trumpeted from the mountain tops. Instead, I think, it reveals itself in quiet ways. Grace is a silent prayer. Grace is driving forty five miles to meet someone whose falling apart when it would be easier to say no. Grace is unexpected book review that makes you smile when you're about to cry. Because, Folks, while mountain top experiences are well and good, we live our lives in the valley. And its those people who stay with you there and provide day to day encouragement and comfort that mean the most and give us the grace to carry on. Thus, when I hear "Sigh No More" I remember to look for all those precious acts of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment