Saturday, December 1, 2012

Can Anyone Tell Me What Christmas Is All About?

"Marley was dead, to begin with. This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am going to relate."  Kiddies, I swear if you do not know where the previous quote comes from than you're living in some sort of cultural and social vacuum that you need to extricate yourself from immediately.  No, I'm not telling you.  Pick up a book and educate yourself.  But, back on topic here.  Last night, I was visited by three spirits who showed me the meaning of Christmas.  Shocker: Its not the Limited Edition Red Christmas Cups from Starbucks.  I was floored.  Obviously, I'm kidding.  If Three Spirits really had visited me last night, I'd, first, bark at them in a Scroogie manner: "You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato.  There's more gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!"...then I'd call my psychiatrist for an emergency appointment.  Obviously, my meds need changing. So where I am going with this?  I've lied to you about seeing spirits, and now I'm rambling on about changing my meds.  Well, after buying a little Charlie Brown sized Christmas Tree, last night, I did begin pondering the Christmas Season.

The truth is, like most people, I get a little depressed around the holidays.  I'm plagued by questions this time of year: What if everything I hope for never comes to pass?  What if next year is just the same as this one?  What if what life is nothing more than hoping followed by disappointment?  Now, some People, would react to this depression by boycotting the Christmas Season, but here's the problem.  While I hate all the expectations and dreams associated with the Holidays, I love the paraphernalia.  No, really, I can't get enough of Starbucks Christmas Cups, Twinkling Lights, and Decorated Trees.  So how can I eat up all the Christmasy Accessories without letting what they symbolize make me nauseous? "Can anyone tell me what Christmas is all about?"

"I can tell you Charlie Brown: Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone." (Charles Schulz)  Huh, Maybe, I've been looking at Christmas all wrong.  Perhaps its less about what I'm hoping for and more about what I can give especially to the people I love.  You know if I look at the holidays in that light than they aren't something to dread.  Instead, Christmas becomes an opportunity to show my love and affection...and I'm not too bad at that.  Its manageable and there's no let down.  This means I can gobble up every single tacky decoration hanging up from here to Lexington without any of the remorse!  Now, in true Charlie Brown fashion everyone sing along with me now: "Hark the Harold Angels Sing.  Glory to the newborn King."*

*Yes, I do think an important element of Christmas is celebrating Christ's birth, but I also think that the season itself comes with ideals and expectations that most of our lives don't measure up to, and, thus, we're left feeling empty and a little let down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment