Saturday, December 8, 2012

Miracle on University Drive

"If you're really Santa Claus, you can get it for me. And if you can't, you're only a nice man with a white beard like mother says."

The 1947 version of Miracle on 34th Street starring Natalie Wood and Maureen O'Hara is one of my favorite movies.  It has always has been.   I'm not sure why except that, despite what the evidence suggests, I still believe in miracles.  And to that end, when I walked through Macy's Department Store tonight, I happened upon a little red table and mailbox set up for shoppers to send their letters to Santa.  And, well, I couldn't help myself.  I'm sucker for those types of marketing ploys.  Thus, I plopped my thirty year old self down and wrote the Big Man in Red a short supplication.  No!  I won't tell you what I wrote.  That's private.  But, I'll say this, after depositing my letter I felt a little better.  And like little Susan Walker, on the drive home I sat murmuring: "I believe.  I believe.  Its silly, but I believe."

*Please Note: For every letter to Santa Macy's receives they will donate $1 to the Make A Wish Foundation up to $1 million.  So go to Macy's, write your letter, and believe in the power of magic you Muggles!

No comments:

Post a Comment