Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My Top Five Christmas Songs

1.) Carol of the Bells (Trans Siberian Orchestra): This song just rocks.  You hear this on the radio, and, suddenly, you are Barney Stinson proclaiming: "This Christmas is going to be Lengend-wait for it-dary!"  Now, the truth is it probably won't.  You'll be let down, just like every other year, but when you hear the Trans Siberian Orchestra, for a moment, you think this year might different.  Carol of the Bells as a Rock Opera makes us believe.




2.) Snoopy and the Red Baron (Snoopy's Christmas) (Royal Guardsman): I refuse to defend this choice.  If you can't get some enjoyment out of this then you're dead inside.  End of Story.




3.) All I Want for Christmas is You (Vince Vance and the Valiants): Move over Mariah Carey, this song blows yours outta of the water.  Well, at least it does for me.  Listen, I have memories of singing along to this song while riding around in the backseat of my father's loaner car as a kid.  Each time I heard it, I daydreamed about being far away and doing unspeakably naughty things with my Sweet Baboo. And, you know what? I'll admit it, I still do! "Santa can't bring me what I need" is a sentiment I understand and have always understood.  




4.) The Lord's Prayer (Engelbert Humperdink): This is just a classic.  I don't know why I have to defend it.  What do you mean, you've never heard of Engelbert Humperdink?  You thought it was someone on the Princess Bride?  Well, you're wrong.  Just go educate yourself.  I refuse to argue with an ignorant person.  I'm right on this one.



5.)  Christmas Time is Here (Vince Guaraldi Trio): For anyone born after 1965, this song brings ya straight back straight back to your childhood.  For me, it was a snowy day, when my father picked up a VHS version of "Charlie Brown's Christmas" for us a gas station after a dentist appointment.  We were thrilled, and, for a moment, all was right with the world.   Even now, when I listen to this song, I believe twigs can transform into beautiful Christmas trees.  Then of course, I break into an awful rendition of "Hark the Harold Angels Sing": Loo loo loo loo.



*Runners Up: Adam Sandler's "Hanukkah Song," and, because I'm a red neck at heart, Randy Brooks "Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer."

No comments:

Post a Comment