Sunday, January 20, 2013

Babel, Darkness, and Hope

So give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
Cause oh they gave me such a fright
But I will hold on with all of my might
Just promise me we'll be alright

But the ghosts that we knew made us black and all blue
But we'll live a long life
And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
And we'll live a long life
~Mumford and Sons

Last night, Yours Truly drove home listening to Mumford and Sons latest album Babel.  Now, in case its not clear from my previous posts, "The Ghosts That We Knew" is one of my favorite songs and Mumford and Sons is one of my favorite bands. The reasons why are many and complicated.  But maybe this will help explain.  When I fall sleep, I suffer from nightmares.  Each and every time it happens, I wake up trembling and aching for morning's light.  And, okay, sure I'll admit it, in the dark I feel incredibly lost and alone.  Yet, when I am awake, I am often seized by anxiety.  Thoughts of my inadequacy.  Fears about the future.  Worries about the safety of my heart.  You see, at the moment, I'm struggling to find balance, security, and, perhaps, where I belong.   Like the song says, I'm still waiting for the ghosts that I knew to flicker from view.  "So give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light, Cause oh they gave me such a fright.  But I will hold on with all of my might.  Just promise me we'll be alright."

No comments:

Post a Comment