Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Clouds and Silver Linings

“It hurts to look at the clouds, but it also helps, like most things that cause pain.” 

“In my arms is a woman who has given me a Skywatcher's Cloud Chart, a woman who knows all my secrets, a woman who knows just how messed up my mind is, how many pills I'm on, and yet she allows me to hold her anyway. There's something honest about all this, and I cannot imagine any other woman lying in the middle of a frozen soccer field with me - in the middle of a snowstorm even - impossibly hoping to see a single cloud break free of a nimbostratus.” 

“I still love you in my own fucked-up way," says Tiffany to Pat in Matthew Quick's The Silver Linings Playbook, a novel about mental illness and new beginnings.  In case its not obvious by the quotes, Yours Truly is a little off today.  Swinging between stability and tears.  I want to discuss the merits of Quick's book.  The relationship between Tiffany and Pat.  The meaning of Silver Linings.  The affects of mental illness.  About loving someone despite the number of pills she's on or how messed up her mind is. But I can't because I'm scared.  Not exactly sure what's frightening me (maybe its all chemical), but I'm uneasy nonetheless.  I guess tonight, I want to see a single cloud break free of a nimbostratus.  Because I still love in my own fucked up way and I need a Silver Lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment