Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Return to King's Cross

King's Cross in the 1950s
Sylvia Plath  was a woman who knew that "The extremity of her feelings, the overwhelming flood of her tears," were often "out of proportion.  Her "molten face and eyes hinting at a dangerous violence". Ted Hughes would later say his wife was "physically transformed"by either feelings of love, fear, or depression.  The most poignant example came early in their courtship when Sylvia "nearly missed Hughes as he came down to London from Heptonstall" in October of 1956. Perhaps, reliving her anguish over being abandoned in Paris by a former lover, Richard Sasson, when Plath couldn't find Hughes, she fell apart: "I was really frantic, unable to understand why Ted wasn't on one of these [buses]; he'd bought reservations: so, in a fury of tears, I fell sobbing into a taxi and for 20 minutes begged him hurry to King's Cross to see if by some miracle Ted might be there. Well, to shorten the trauma, I walked into King's Cross into Ted's arms...He looked like the most beautiful person in the world, everything began to shine, and the taxi driver sprouted wings, and all was fine". 

In case you haven't guessed I am still waiting for my miracle.  Falling into taxis  in a fury of tears but my drivers never sprout wings.  When will all be fine?  When will I lose this molten face?

No comments:

Post a Comment