Saturday, July 13, 2013

Basking in the Glow of Neil Gaiman

Taken from my iPod
Yours Truly has spent the day basking in the glow of Neil Gaiman.  Why, you ask?  Because last Thursday night at the Grand Reserve in Lexington, Kentucky, Mr. Neil Gaiman read both from his newest novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, and his upcoming children's book, Fortunately the Milk, due to be released this September. Now, get ready to be jealous because...I was THERE sitting in the SECOND ROW, nearly close enough to touch NEIL GAIMAN.  Go ahead take it in.  Personally, I still can't believe it. As if that wasn't enough to last me a lifetime, I even got swag in the form of an Amanda Palmer cd compliments of Mr. Gaiman himself along with the two books he signed for me (Neil wrote "Sweet Dreams" in my copy of Absolute Sandman Volume I.  <girlish squeal of delight>), and a copy of the Graveyard Book pre-signed by Neil. So the question remains was it worth the two hours I stood outside the Grand Reserve, the two hours I sat waiting for John Scalzi to introduce Neil inside the Grand Reserve, and the four hours and fifteen minutes I waited for Neil to sign my books, not to mention the disturbing looking male belly dancer I was forced to watch in the interim.  My answer: Absolutely!  That night was magical and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  In fact, I so love Neil's voice that I purchased an audio copy of Oceans to listen to on my way home from Bloomington tonight. "The one thing you have that nobody else has is you.  Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision.  So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can."  ~Neil Gaiman

No comments:

Post a Comment