Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Fence

"Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason it was put up." (~G.K. Chesterton)  I feel weak today.  As a result of that weakness, part of me wants to give up and break my silence, but, if I do that then I toss months of hard work away.  Months of gaining distance.  Months of getting healthier.  Months of crying less.  Not to mention, tearing the fence down would ignore the reasons why I put it up in the first place. Why silence, I ask myself?  Because I was hemorrhaging heartache and he remained unmovable, like a cold, hard statue. That even the bonds of friendship had failed.  For example, last spring friends called from Europe to check on me but he couldn't even muster a reasonable email let along a call.  That isn't the work of someone who cares about you. <Insert reflective pause> Okay that helps.  Resolve renewed and reestablished.  Sometimes, I just need reminding about why the fence went up.

No comments:

Post a Comment