Saturday, November 16, 2013

Christmas: A Nonnegotiable Social Contract

I love Christmas.  I know.  I know.  Its not Thanksgiving yet, but my Christmas shopping is already well under way.  And its so much fun this year! Much better now that I'm no longer sick.  At first, I thought, "Oh, I might be sad because I cannot shop for Him Who Must Not Be Named," but then I realized I'm not.  He'd just say "Thanks" and not reciprocate like any normal friend would so why should I bother? (Yes, it stung.  Do you know how LONG it takes to knit a scarf?  Not to mention, the financial investment. Yet, he didn't even send a thank you note.  I got an email.  An email, MAN!)  I have plenty of good friends plus family to buy for and they care about me enough to get me something in return.  Its not that I need things but that's just what people do.  As Sheldon would say, its a nonnegotiable social contract.  And the truth is I LOVE shopping for my family and friends.  Thinking about each one's likes and dislikes.  Finding that perfect gift.  I hate to toot my own horn, but I am a fabulous gift giver.  Always have been.  Its the thrill of the chase.  Finding just the right Disney Princess activity books for my goddaughters, the Under Armour hat for my godson, anime for my brother, a graphic novel (on sale!) for his fiancee.  Then there's my best friend who I shop for year round and pick up whatever catches my eye.  So what is the point of my post?  Well, listen, Guys don't be like He Who Shall Not Be Named.  Christmas is a Nonnegotiable Social Contract, whether you enjoy shopping or not, so step up to the plate and spread some cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment