Sunday, March 9, 2014

Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium

Far left is CW and beside him is Zodiac when she was a baby.
Following a Japanese trend that began nearly a decade ago, Australian Lauren Pears has just opened London's first kitty cafe, Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium.  For a price (early bird specials ran around 120 pounds), people can come, hang out with the kitties, and enjoy a snack.  Sounds fun, right?  Well, if you want to know the truth, I have mixed feelings when it comes to these type of establishments.  On the one hand, a Feline Emporium is a neat way to rescue ten to eleven cats at a time and see that they get the attention they deserve (if the place is run well).  On the other, its seems cruel to charge someone to play with a rescued cat especially considering who the individuals most likely to use such an establishment are often in most need of a little cat therapy.  For example, one Phd student in London admitted she was suffering from depression and hoped her VIP membership to Lady Dinah's would speed along the healing process.  Or take me for instance, I bought my two cats CW (half Himalayan, half American Bobtail) and Zodiac (traditional Siamese) in the midst of bipolar episode, and my two super cute cats have brought me no small amount of comfort.  Its not that I dislike the idea of Lady Dinah's or that I think Pears' drawing a huge salary.  My issue stems more from my wish for the ideal.  A peaceful atmosphere where people could go for a little pet therapy with being charged (and yes, volunteering at your local shelter is a good idea but sometimes whether mentally or physically people are not up to doing that).

No comments:

Post a Comment